Sunday, May 4, 2008

Wild Kingdom

For those of you curious at how my ant problem is going, we did get an exterminator in last Friday! I am seeing less and less of the little pests, and I was told that it would take 7-14 days for them to be gone. She (yes the exterminator was a she...people gasp everytime I say it was a woman) said that this was the worst case of carpenter ants she'd seen in a while. Great. Anyway, she sprayed the outside, and did a gel bate with syringe to the inside of the house. So far so good. She said it would also take care of the stinging insects outside the house, which I am most relieved about. We couldn't go out on our sunporch without at least 10 bees of different varieties buzzing around us. While we're on the topic of Wild Kingdom....we are surrounded by woods and we get the good fortune to see a lot of deer around our house. The other evening, just before sundown, my husband and I were out back and saw 8 deer scampering through the woods by the brook. It was amazing. This coming from a girl that was raised in the city and until moving up here, I had never seen a deer except on TV or well as road kill. So this is why I especially enjoy my surroundings. I wasn't raised around anything like this, in fact when Brandon was little we lived in one apartment near the highway and then moved to an apartment by a railroad track, and then by a Firestation. HAHAHA Yes it's true! So I was used to the sounds of the city and it didn't bother me a bit. When we moved up here it was so quiet! You could actually hear nature...it was nothing like what I was used to and I have to say it takes a minute for a city slicker to make friends with nature. Now however, we live in a quiet setting that comes alive at night with the sounds of crickets and frogs, and an occasional Mooooooo off in the distance. I must say the scariest thing I've encountered since the move from the city to country life is what I found in our shed. Long story short, my friend and I were cleaning out the garage and I went back to the shed to put some things away...where I found, upon moving the wheel barrow, a half of a red squirrel. And by half, I mean HALF. The butt half. I let loose a scream and made a run for it! I've never been back there again. Now I'm sure there are those tough as nails women who've been raised on farms that would've just grabbed it up by the tail and flung it into the woods. Um no, not me. I won't even take a shovel and throw it into the woods that way. Again, nope, not by thing. So as we speak, that butt end of a poor unsuspecting squirrel lay in my shed for my husband to deal with. Because there are just some things, no matter what kind of equal opportunity feminst bra burner you are, there's just some things that THIS woman ain't touchin! My hats off to those women who could, but to those whose gag reflex wouldn't allow it, kudos to you too!

No comments: