Friday, March 20, 2009

Procrastinators Unite...Tomorrow

So I haven't been my normal hilarious self lately, what with all the talk of a friendship that went down like the Titanic, bullies, and mean people in general. I figure I owe it to you to step off the crazy train now, and leave all that yuck behind and return to normal. I was thinking of what I could blog about, and something came to mind, along with a clear (and funny) example.

Procrastination. Standing up, hanging head in shame, I confess, I am a procrastinator. However, I am married to an even bigger one. Oh yes, my one true love, my heart's desire, my Knight in Shining Armour.....is the biggest "why do today what I can do 3 months from now" guy. It drives me INSANE!! Come on over and take a look around if you don't believe me. We've been remodelling since forever it seems, but by remodelling I really mean, he's been starting project after project and then leaving them hanging to move on to other projects, which he has perfectly reasonable (only to him) explanations for why he can't complete just ONE project at a time. The remodel stopped a few months ago, and now it's like pulling teeth to get him to even plunge a toilet. Oh but if a friend calls or his Mom (we won't go there on this post, that will be a post all itself), to fix something or to spend a day doing plumbing, roofing, or any number of things, he jumps right on it. So why oh why oh why can I not get him to put the rest of the drywall up or finish the insulation in the attic or finish the downstairs bathroom??? Because, he is a putter offer, a "it'll get done" kinda guy. Meaning, it'll get done on HIS terms and in HIS time. Okay so now that I've made it clear how I really feel, here is an example of the negative consquences he gets for doing tomorrow what should've been done 2 weeks ago.

My white Caterra sat parked off to the side in the grass by the corner lot (which is all woods) for months because, in a nutshell, it's posessed. It was a fine car, and still looks very sleek. I love that car. But for the fact it has had one problem after another after a darn nother for the last year. And they aren't just minor things, they cost us big. So we decided to park it several months ago and the only place to do that was a spot over by the woods, out of the way of the driveway and garage.

Now I might add that the car sat through the winter, buried in 2 feet of snow. And once that thawed, the monsoon like rains came. Two weeks ago the ground was still frozen, which WOULD have been the prime time to move the car back over by the garage, if not to work on it, just to get it moved before the ground thawed. I had the foresight to see this, he did not. He waited. And it rained. He waited some more. And it rained even more. Then the ground thawed. Do you see where I am going with this??

So one day last weekend I am getting the kids ready to run errands. James said he was going to move the car into the garage that day to replace spark plugs and see how it runs after that. I began hurrying around, I did not want to be here when he started THAT project. I knew it would be a sight and there would involve some bad language. However, as fast as my little legs could carry me around the house, it just wasn't fast enough. hailey came up the stairs hollaring "Daddy needs you Mom!". Oh no. So I grabbed a jacket and as I walked through the open garage I saw quite a sight. There was my husband, muddy and disheveled, asking for my help. Oh goody. so I approach him as he directs me to walk through the swamp, get in the car and push on the gas while he physically pushes the car out of the mud pit. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I don't have time for this, nor do I want to play in the mud with him. Against my own will, I step in the mud. Luckily I had my winter boots on because we do live in Antartica, so the boots don't get put away until July. SQUISH. SQUISH SLOP SQUISH SLOP. Oh yuck. Now I'm standing in about a foot of mud. What the hell was he thinking parking the car in this area? So I delicately try to get in the car without dragging a ton of mud in with me. He has it in reverse, so he yells for me to give it a little gas, as he pushes. So I do, but I give it to much gas and it kicks up mud everywhere. whoopsie. So I roll the window down as he has his ever popular one eyebrow up. Then he instructs me on how this delicate operation should go down, I listen, and then I give it some gas, let off, give it gas, let off, give it gas....and we get nowhere fast. Then I suggest he put something under the back tires, like something hard, to give it something to catch hold of. Then I get out, slop through the mud, and we get two good sized boards out of the garage. He places them under the back tires, or as close to it as he can. I step back in the mud and feel a cold sensation. What is it? It's mud. Mud in my boot. Oh isn't this just peachy? I get in the car, by now I am testy. This better work. So I get in and give it some gas. I didn't mean to (or maybe it was a subconcious thing?), but I gave it too much and flung mud up all over him. Now he's yelling, I'm yelling and Brandon comes out to see what the commotion is. He begins laughing. Not a good idea. He quickly turns around, still laughing at us, and goes back inside. By now we have spent a solid hour on this. I go over my mental to do list and start thinking if we don't get this show on the road, my errands will be cut short and I'll be that must testier.

Like an angel sent from Heaven, our neighbor that lives 3 doors down on the left, happened to be driving by. He pulls over and asks if we want a tow out. YES!!! I wanted to hug him, if not for the fact I'd never met him so that might be a little awkward. So I harnessed my joy, and shook his hand. We must have been quite a site for sore eyes by this point. Because, lo and behold, another neighbor happens by the freak show and pulls over. Now we have 2 neighbors with chains and man power, that will get us out of this mess my husband didn't see a comin. So with a good chain, someone to guide, and someone to back up, and me standing in muddy boots with a smile, the car gets tugged out of the mud and rescued! I am just hoping no one was recording us to put on you tube. What a circus. Doesn't he realize by putting these kinds of things off, he is essentially creating MORE work for himself and others?!

This is but one example, and I'm not bashing on him, I'm simply telling a story that I know other women can relate to. I know my husband isn't the only get'r done later guy out there. He is outstanding in many ways, but he comes with quirks. For as planned as he likes things to be, he sure seems to wing it most of the time!

No comments: