Thursday, February 5, 2009

To Read or Not To Read

Another older draft I never got around to posting! What was it with me stockpiling posts? Anyway...I wanted to try out my new siggy, so figured I'd post this, enjoy!

Today I was asked what the last book I read in it's entirety was. crickets chirping

There I was staring at the vast collection of books that I've accumulated that have gone unread, half read, skimmed over and so forth. That got me to thinking. I used to LOVE to read. I used to read a lot. Not just novels, but I LOVED poetry. The greats, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Robert Frost, Edgar Allen Poe, Walt Witman, just to name a few. Yes I was once an intellect, but then I had kids. HA! And it's not at all that I dislike reading NOW; if the book REALLY grabs me, then I can easily finish it in a day or two, if all else around me is neglected. HA! I guess it goes back to "busyness" and Mommyhood. I use my down time ("Me time") in different ways, depending on my mood or what I am "into" at the time; such as writing, sometimes reading, scrapbooking or sometimes I just run screaming out of the house and get away for a nice nervous breakdown. My son is a bookworm and so was my Mom. Even when she got to the point that she couldn't see very well, she would get the large print books or books on tape. Her love affair was with reading, mine on the other hand is with chocolate. Of coarse the first of the two is much better for mind and body. I so wish I could get into some of my books, but I lose interest after a time, and then bookmark it, lay it by my bed, and then it gets shuffled to the floor, then to the closet. Another problem I have is the self help books. Oh they're wonderful, they're great, and they make me realize what an utter failure I am areas I need to work on. It's not that I can't take criticism, or helpful advice, but man alive, enough already!! I will never be THAT perfect, so lets be real, k? I have good days and bad days, I have mood swings and PMS, I go on chocolate binges, I struggle with the past, I struggle in the present, I am human!! Don't we allllllllllll have these issues? Okay well some more than others, I'll give you that. One of my friends said about self help books, that all these books make you think of is someone else it could benefit other than yourself! hahaha Okay well that isn't the case for me, but I just found that humorous! For me, I get easily distracted I guess. Once again, the self diagnosis of ADD creeps up. I am pretty sure I have it. But that's a whole other post my friends. I am going to make a concerted effort to dust off those books that are bookmarked at chapter 5, and start them again, with highlighter in hand. As I'm reaching for the book, I'll look down and see a pile of laundry that needs to be addressed. I'll pick up the clothes and walk them to the sorter in the hallway closet. Uh oh, almost out of towels. Then I'll go downstairs to get the mountain of clean towels that's been towering on top of the washer for 3 weeks. Then on my way down, I see a crumb trail. Hailey is nearby. So I get out the vacume and sweep up the graham cracker crumbs. Then while I'm at it I might as well vacume the Family Room. Then the phone rings.....you get my point! This is how my mind and my life work! So this MUST be why the towels are never put away and the books never seem to get read. Anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?

No comments: