Thursday, February 5, 2009

Get up offa that thang!

I have struggled with how to post this in a comedic way. I don't want to sound preachy, I am far from it. But here are my current gripes. Dear America, stop giant sizing eveything. A large isn't big enough now? We have to overstuff ourselves with extra fries, extra this, extra that...more more more. What was once a large is now a small or medium, and now we are used to ordering "biggie size" or super stomach stuffer, or any number of catch phrases to get you to eat more and spend more money. Also, the electronic hover rounds that are meant for senior citizens at the stores...could we maybe hide those? Not get rid of them, but maybe not make them accessible to just anyone? I am all for assisting and aiding the elderly enjoy a productive life, but these things are not safe. I nearly got run over the other day at Meijer, not by a car, but inside the store, by a hovercraft doing mach 10. I have also been side swiped and bumped with those things; it hurts, and you can't really do anything about it, it wouldn't be kosher to be caught yelling at a Senior. And another thing....I have seen younger people riding around on those. Now unless you have injured legs, why not walk? Have we gotten that sedentary that we must sit n spin while grocery shopping instead of walking through the store like in the good ole days? And last but not least America, stop mass producing such delicious junk food. It's not good for us. Read on for more on that topic. So, are you one of the millions of Americans who have junk in YOUR trunk? And hey, I'm no one to talk, since quitting smoking I've gained a pound or two ten myself. So its time for us to take a stand! Its time to eat better, and get up and move! Oh the thought exhausts you and makes you want to scarf down a bag of Cheetos huh? Well let me create a visual that might thwart your inner junk food junkie. I came upon a few posts about Cheetos a couple weeks ago on Cafemom. It almost gave me nightmares, fortunately I am not addicted to Cheetos, but I am sure they're not the only junk food with surprises inside. Here's what I found:http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Couple-Finds-Snake-In-Cheetos There were a couple other posts but I can't locate them because I didn't bookmark them. But ewwwwwwwww oh my God is that not disgusting?!! The other post I had read was of a Mom that upon finishing off a bag of Cheetos, noticed those last few pieces didnt' taste quite right so she spit them out (picture was included) and lo and behold, there were dark/black hairy pieces of something in her bag! The company didn't offer to do anything except examine the contents. I would've been flipping out and going to the news! Anyway.......this post isn't a Cheetos bashfest, its to make you more aware of what you are putting in your mouth. Can we really trust these big companies? I think we all like to turn a blind eye.....until someone bites into a snake or hairy black pieces of ??? Not to mention these junk foods, even without the snake and rat or whatever that was, isn't so great for us. Many are loaded with MSG's, and are just plain empty calories. Again, I am NOT preaching because I am admittedly a junk food junkie myself. I am trying to reform my bad habits and find something that is both pleasing to my pallette and good for me. So first lesson we can learn is no Cheetos OR at the very least, dump the bag out and sort through them before consumption. But really, there are far healthier snacks we could reach for, such as any number of fruits & veggies, or if you want something crunchy and flavorful but still healthy in moderation, try these...they are deeelish! Or these: Next is the main idea of this blog, exercise! It's time we get up, stand up, (which reminds me of Bob Marley so now that tune is humming in my head = great example of my A.D.D.). Whatever way you can get your butt off the couch, do it! What do you enjoy doing that has some physical activity to it? Walking maybe? Since its winter and I am not one to brave the cold to go on walks, I got a set of ankle weights and wear them around the house, to run errands, around the mall, etc. Rent/buy some workout tapes. Get an exercise buddy, try to avoid the over zealous ones unless you know you're gonna be up for it. I had joined a group for weight loss on the internet, but found the leader to be overly zippy and annoying with her constant emails about doing laundry and running laps while running loads of laundry up and down 3 flights of steps. Um, yeah not me, sorry. One email after another about her amazing ideas on how to be active every second of every day. And some of the ideas were plain corny. Such as "Who wants to have a dance party while doing dishes?!!" Um not I. I'm clumsy enough without trying to dance a jig while putting a glass casserole dish away. I am smart enough to avert disaster before it strikes. So my point is, you know you. If you need that level of enthusiasm then girl, go bust a move while flinging the plates into the cupboard. But for me, I'm not always a "people" person, actually scratch that, I am a people person, I just don't do "perky" very well. I like everything a little more low key. So for me, I left the online group and I joined Curves and got a Wii Fit. Both of which are awesome. The Wii Fit is a great way to incorporate exercise into the family in a fun way. And Curves is awesome because its for women only, and they just came out with a Curves Smart that may just kick my butt, if the instructor lady doesn't first. While getting tested for the Curves Smart, I found myself in a position I'd never been in before. It was similar to a boot camp experience. This lady followed me from machine to machine yelling and hollaring and cheering "Go Liz Go Liz you can do it, go FASTER, FASTER FASTER, go hurry Liz, gooooooooo!" I am sure I don't have to tell you that got old fast. I wasn't sure why she felt the need to follow me screaming these things, except that the faster you go while its programming you into the system, the more intense a workout it will give you when its all said and done. I still think I could've managed my way through the workout without the heckling, but hey, whatever. My point is I'm trying and so should you! Find something, anything, it doesn't have to involve investing any money at all. Get together with friends and exercise, borrow their DVD's, rent some from the library, get online and go to Spark People and My Fitness Pal. Just get up off that thang....remember spring isn't far off, which means summer is right around the corner. Are you ready to show some skin? I know for me, the thought of shorts right now makes me cry. But we still have a few more months to bust a move and shed a few pounds for summer. Ready? Get set! Go!

No comments: