Sunday, June 1, 2008

Once again, it's time to Insta-tan!

Yesterday I bravely put on a pair of shorts. I hate converting from the safety of sweats and jeans, to the bare nakedness of my shorts. And then I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. Ahhhhhhh! I scared myself! Suffice to say, I could illuminate a room with my pastey white legs! Eeeeek! Well at least they weren't hairy, so there is always that. Some women give up shaving for the winter season, and I honestly don't know how they can stand it. Not I! So today I dug around in the summer tote and found my insta-tan. It comes in a huge pump bottle, which I've been working on for years now. Who needs this much insta-tan? Oh now I know, many of you balk at the idea, but what are my options? I could lay out in the yard and scare the neighborhood, or leave them laughing and pointing in my direction. I could go tanning at a Salon. In my hayday, I loved going tanning. The problem though is that it's not so good for your skin. I don't want to look like Magda from There's Something About Mary in a few years! They actually came up with a term for the die hard tanners. Tanaholics! lol Oh my, if you need an intervention for tanning, then you have a heckuva problem. But I was once well on my way to such a thing. I thought I was pretty hot stuff, with my orange glow and over processed hair. And I wasn't in the minority on this, unfortunately. Since then, I've grown wiser and become more concious of taking care of my skin, which has left me but a pale shell of my former orange self. Until it really warms up around here and I am outside more, I always resort to the self tanners. When used in moderation and rubbed in reeeeeeally good, it can look pretty natural. Oh sure, you can go overboard with this method too, and become an orange streak of sunshine. But that just looks silly. I've tried sprays and lotions alike, and it really doesn't matter which, what matters is that you get it as even as possible and the goal is to give the illusion of a sun kissed look without attracting attention to the streak effect you can get if you are not a seasoned pro at this. So to all my pale pals I say, good luck and God speed with your tanning processes!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I too am a insta-tanner! Never been to the tanning salon and never want to go!
During the summer I am outside a lot, and I usually get a nice "glow" but until then I use a self tanner. It took awhile for me to find one that actually worked without looking orangy?? but I finally went with the gradual tanning lotion...you know the one you use every day just like a regular lotion and by day 7 you have a beautiful sun kissed glow. Anywhoo...INSTA-TANNERS UNITE!

Anonymous said...

ME TOO!! ME TOO!!

I can't lay out in the sun - melanoma runs in my family and since my mom had it..I'm scared to death of it!

so...its the gradual stuff for me too...though at MY age ... do I even care? LOL

blahhhhhhh!!

Still needing that drink!!
~CLH